Melly's

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pre-microteaching reflection

Alright... It has been 7 weeks since the first microteaching. It didn't seem that stressful at first when those teaching sessions under Mr. Yee were carried out. But now, looking at how things go, I think I'm gonna be in for a hard time, especially after reading about "karma" in Lat's blog. Well, I hope that my experience as a Sunday school teacher will serve me well in terms of class management, though it causes my nerves to rattle abit just thinking of the possibilities of what may happen during the half hour. Nonetheless, I shall have to try my best this wednesday.

I think one of the most, if not the most, difficult thing for a teacher to achieve in class is balance. Balance in terms of being firm vs being soft, balance between finishing the syllabus and tackling an immediate problem in class, balance between exposition and student-learning, all within the limited time and interaction in class. This has always been my fundamental objective in teaching - to always strike a balance in my lessons. If I haven't mentioned it before, I have been a Sunday School teacher for 4 years - 2 years teaching K1/K2 and 2 years teaching P1/P2. If I do soundl ike a primary sch teacher on wednesday, you know why. Even though I might have some experience in dealing with students, they are really young children and therefore easier to manage. Also, the syllabus taught is also quite simple. Balance is therefore must easier to achieve in that context. In my lessons during Sunday School, I am usually a fun, jovial teacher, quite dramatic somewhat when I do bible storytelling. I would usually avoid scolding my students and take the soft (and logical consequences haha) approach, unless they misbehave to a level where the entire class is distracted and disrupted.
However, during my ESE, when I tried to teach a class geography during a geography relief period (because it was my last day and I havent really done any teaching) - a very lofty goal, because the students perceived relief teachers as babysitters, and therefore were very reluctant to listen - I was extremely firm with them. I felt like Julia Roberts in "Mona Lisa Smile" when she was confronted by her student. In the end, I managed to get all of them to do their work, greet me reluctantly, and not get a sore throat. But from that lesson I learnt that I needed to find another way to work around defiance. So, I think I need lots of exposure to sec school students' mannerisms and behvaiour.

With regards to my lesson, I have not penned down my lesson plan as yet, but I already have in mind what to do. After all the microteachings since Kenneth's taking over, no one has been able to complete their lessons! So, I'm debating internally whether I should expel my lofty goals of imparting too much knowledge and reduce the lesson plan to a really simple one. However, Kenneth has expressed his enthusiasm in the teaching of map-reading. So... I'm starting to feel quite stressed. Anyway, I think I will just focus on what I can do and do what I can.
I'm approaching this microteaching with mixed feelings. One is fear of karma and retribution haha. The other is I'm hoping to learn what I haven't learnt or experienced. Aiyar, we'll see how it goes...
Have mercy on me!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home